Monday, February 16, 2009

Lain padang lain belalang the sequel

Well,the way we talk differs from one state to the other. This particular story will tickle me whenever I remember it. One of our friends, who is a Kedahan went to the east coast. He stopped at a stall selling all the goreng-gorengan things such as kepok goreng,goreng keledek,tapai goreng,cucok udang and cucok kodok. He was very fond of goreng keledek,so he ordered some. Before that he thought hard how to tell the lady ( owner of the stall ) what he wanted. So he figured out --- cucok in bahasa selatan must be cucur and (keledek) ie ubi must be ubi too. So he said .. Makcik bagi saya cucur ubi seringgit. The lady said goreng ubi tak ada .Surprised, he pointed out to the cucur ubi,yang tu makcik......Oh, ini goreng keledek!.....Pulak dah..( salah care off rupenyeee! )

Another incident, " Hi, handsome " son of our family friend and his sister went on tour to Pulau Langkawi. He was about fifteen at that time. He told me about his visit to Langkawi,first thing he said it was very hot over there and the second thing he said he tried to speak their lingo. So when he was about to order coffee he had to think hard as how to translate air kopi to bahasa tempatan. So, air is ayak...what about kopi?.. If air is ayak then kopi must be kopak. Pak cik..bagi ayak kopak satu. Ayak apa dek? Tu, yang itu ( pointing to the coffee ) Oo, mau ayak kopi ka?... ( ( blushing ) Ya,ya , ayak kopi satu!

When in Sarawak do not praise people by saying you are lawa hari ini. Your compliment might hurt people because lawa means sombong. So you should say kacak kitak hari tok means awak cantik hari ini.

Oh, I miss Kuching and all my friends there already! I miss laksa Sarawak, I miss bubur pedas and I miss kek lapis ( during Hari Raya ). I miss their 'one mile long' pasar minggu ( maybe it is more than a mile now ),I miss Waterfront with its air pancut bermuzik. I think I should visit Sarawak in this near future !

2 comments:

Nurul Husna said...

I remember the ayak kopak story hahahah lawak gilerr..i wish i was der..i enjoyed the time we were in sarawak too!!

Kerabu Jantung said...

indeciciveness,

kalau bukak cerita buah km , atau sudah makan bubur ke, lagi gegak gempita!

Fikir Sejenak...

  Bagaimana kalau tiba-tiba terjadi ....Iza zulzilatil ardhu zilzalaha...ketika kita berada di tingkat 44? Pernah tak kita terfikir? Dulu sa...